As the principle scientific and technical organisation in the pacific, the Pacific Community is the custodian of the largest and most diverse collection of data on the Pacific Island region cutting across all its key sectors, including population statistics, fisheries, geoscience, agriculture, aquaculture, energy, education, human rights, climate change and oceans.
In addition, SPC has been charged with a critical role in the compilation, updating and dissemination of the Pacific Sustainable Development indicator to assist countries in meeting the Sustainable Development Goals reporting requirements.
Creating a single Pacific Data Hub was identified as a critical opportunity by the SPC that would enable them to become a single, authoritative point of entry for all Pacific data; and the SPC chose Link Digital to provide the implementation and hosting that helped turn that opportunity into a reality.
The Pacific Data Hub is developed as a CKAN+Drupal installation, that seamlessly combines both platforms into a best-of-both-worlds content management system (CMS) plus open data platform solution. Hosting is also managed by Link Digital on an AWS infrastructure optimised for CKAN+Drupal deployments. This foundation supports UI and data visualisations completely customised by Link Digital according to the exact specifications of SPC to provide an open data portal that is both beautiful and highly functional to the public.
- Project consultation and scoping via project sprint
- UI/UX design work, including Information architecture and wireframe development
- Consultation and development around technical infrastructure and various data-related issues
- Development and deployment of customised Drupal+CKAN open data portal
- Highly detailed and customised showcase data visualisations, implemented via D3, that are seamlessly integrated into the wider site
- Fully responsive design for desktop, mobile and tablet devices
The Pacific Data Hub can be found at https://pacificdata.org
Increasing the value of Pacific Community Data
CKAN increases the value of dataset collections via:
- Metadata and data resource management over API and UI
- Organisation specific contexts for search, discovery and access of data
- Integrated data visualisation and dashboard management
- 200+ extensions supporting many more features
If you would like to know more about how CKAN can increase the value of data for your organisation please get in touch.